Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, 11 February 2013


In honor of the fact that my wife is actually going to be on The Price Is Right today (2/12/13), I figured it would be appropriate to feature a game show post. I've pretty much said everything I can say about game shows (see previous post); however, I've learned to never say never on Retrospace - there seems to always be more to say.

So, let me start by saying I hated Name That Tune.  I was a musical encyclopedio - I could and still can identify a musical obscurity by just a few notes....... and yet I was an abysmal failure at Name That Tune. The reason, of course, is that they never played anything by Seals & Crofts, Kiss or David Bowie.  It was crap like "Little Brown Jug".  Old standards that were foreign to a Gen-xer like me. I'd watch the show with my family and my dad could kick royal ass at naming a track from Around the World in 80 Days or a Glen Miller tune. And there I sat on the shag carpet, disgraced, eating my Frankenberry in shame.




Back when most women were home during the day, game shows ruled the airwaves alongside soaps.  And if there's one thing these ladies loved, it was Mr. Bert Convy.  Love that 'fro.

My favorite game shows of the era were Make Me Laugh and The Gong Show.  Although, I must admit a secret passion for Jokers Wild.  Don't tell anyone.


Was there anything worse than a man dressed as Raggedy Andy forsake a wad of cash in favor of a farm animal? I always wondered whether the contestants actually took home the goat or was that just a put-on.


The beauty of The Match Game was the sexually suggestive questions - where "BLANK" could often be inserted with a variety of lewd words.  Some real examples:

The cave man said, "I just went to a very unusual wedding. A dinosaur BLANKED the bride."

"Judy and George were the strangest couple on the dance floor. Everyone else was dancing cheek to cheek, but they were dancing BLANK to BLANK."

"I just came from New York. They've got a new type of men's room there. If you try to sneak in under the door without putting in a dime, it BLANKS you."

"On the airplane, Stephanie said to Jessica, "I don't have much confidence in this airline. I just saw the pilot and he had a BLANK sticking out of his pocket."

"Weird Sylvester was thrown out of the department store when they caught him BLANKING the mannequins."


 I, for one, have no recollection of GO.  Here's a few more game shows that vaguely ring a bell, but have since passed from my long term memory...

  • You Don't Say
  • Whew!
  • Second Chance
  • Rhyme and Reason
  • Now You See It
  • Gambit
  • The Big Showdown

... and Almost Anything Goes.....


Although, I do seem to recall a dirty little game show called Anything Goes Including Your Clothes.  Anyone remember that?  I'm too lazy to Google it right now.


 Who were my favorite game show hosts you ask?  My all time favorite is Allen Ludden.  Nevermind the fact that he was married to Betty White, the dude was one cool customer.  I picture him having cigarettes and highballs at every commercial break.

I liked Bill Cullen and Jack Barry as well because they were just so damn old school.  Nothing cheesy or "wacky" about these guys.  They'd eat Wink Martindale for breakfast.

Here's a few more TV Guide pages with game show ads....




"We'll be back in 2 and 2!"
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment