Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, 11 July 2012

I want to watch every episode of SCTV right now streaming to my television set! And while you're at it, I want to watch Fridays as well!
Streaming Rerun Deficiency (SRD): it's a serious condition, folks. And we all have it.

But let me back up a bit and present you with a moderately interesting fact about Retrospace: the very first post I wrote was a short bitch session about how I can’t watch reruns of the shows I love. You could almost say it was the impetus for forming this blog – I simply had to have an avenue to whine about this. And since I don’t have my own talk radio show and everyone I know personally could give two shits about reruns, I decided to learn how to blog.

Side Note: To be completely accurate, my very first blog post was on Geocities (remember that?) in early 2008, but quickly abandoned. In that post I was bemoaning the sad state of popular music. I think two people read it.

What’s troubling is that, four years later, I still have plenty to bitch about when it comes to watching reruns. In the Information Age, four years is a long time when you’re talking about digital media. But, alas, I’m still stuck with slim offerings. I’m sorry but George Lopez reruns on Nick at Nite do not count.



"I'm sorry, sir, but the only reruns I can pick up on this thing are Law & Order."
"Dammit, Jim. You're just going to have to try harder!"
Perhaps my biggest complaint is with Netflix. On the one hand, I’m grateful for the selection of movies that far exceeded the stock of even the best video stores back in the day. I can watch an Italian Giallo, a gritty trucker movie, and a long lost 80s teen sex comedy and totally take it for granted that these films are at my fingertips. Sure, there’s a lot missing that I’d like to add to their collection; but, overall, I’m extremely thankful to Netflix.

But why can’t I stream “Good Times” or “James at 15”? It would seem vintage reruns have been given the shaft. I know IMDb and Hulu and certain other sources offer a smattering of streaming retro TV…. but I’m not satisfied. It’s 2012 and I want to stream “The Fall Guy” dammit!

I suppose it’s a supply and demand issue. If Netflix would benefit from adding a ton of retro TV to their instant lineup, they’d probably have done it by now. The number of Americans clamoring to watch “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman” and “It’s Your Move” on demand is probably pretty small.

Let’s face it folks. If you want to press a button and watch “Manimal” and “Battle of the Network Stars”, you are officially a member of an ever-shrinking niche. Indeed - you suffer from Streaming Rerun Deficiency.  Take action now. Ask your doctor to prescribe streaming episodes of "Barney Miller" and "Joker's Wild".*

* Warning: May cause severe nostalgia.  If your nostalgia persists for more than 72 hours consult your physician.

0 comments:

Post a Comment