Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, 17 April 2012


"Ya see, doc, I was just a clean cut wimp who couldn't get laid if my life depended on it. Then, I grew my hair out a bit, got a David Crosby 'stache, and now the chicks can't keep their hands off me.  I'm a wreck, doc. I don't think they love me for me.... I think they just love THE 'STACHE!"

Yes, it had been a looooong time since it was fashionable for men to really let their facial hair grow into big bushy beards and such.  Certainly, since the Depression Era, men kept their face shaved or at least clean cut (a la the pencil thin mustache).  In the early sixties, you had your odd beatnik and Castro beard, but it was by no means a mainstream look. But then suddenly, the lads from Liverpool showed up with long handlebar mustaches around '67, and the facial hair explosion was officially on.  Even the clean cut Beach Boys looked like unwashed hobos by the time the seventies rolled around.

The Great Facial Hair Experiment (as I've just now named it) lasted all the way until the eighties. By '84, it was back to the clean look. I mean, can you even imagine a bearded Depeche Mode? It was the end of an era.

Well, at Retrospace we're all about celebrating the seventies in all its wonderful hairiness. Let's have a look at a few more phenomenal 'staches.




Would you buy candy from this man? His velour shirt and bling perfectly compliment his giant 'stache. Well done, sir.


You have just witnessed why the 'stache was invented.  Enough said. Moving on.


I haven't placed this picture here just 'cause I love me some Burgundy Street Singers.  It's here to demonstrate how vital it was to the seventies look.  The two dudes without the 'stache just seem lacking - lame and out of place.  The hair, the clothes, the 'tude.... the 'stache was an integral part of that super seventies vibe.


Just so you know, there was a point in time that EVERYONE on college campuses had facial hair.  I mean without exception.  Those opting for a clean cut look were ostracized until they learned to embrace it.  It wasn't just to attract chicks, it was a statement, baby.


Of course, the 'stache is not always a good thing.  There's nothing worse than a boy, barely past puberty, donning an outrageous 'stache.  It looks so out of place, you'd think it was Photoshopped.


Mister Popularity.  The local Burt Reynolds.  Call him what you like, just don't call him clean shaven.


Behold. Here is a man who wears his 'stache with authority. His expression mocks all clean shaven wusses.


Let us not forget, the 'stache was the perfect compliment to the 'fro. Perhaps this man's choice of attire leaves something to be desired, but then it was the seventies and everything was fair game as long as it wasn't dull.

THE END


0 comments:

Post a Comment