Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, 7 November 2011

Pause for Living Winter 1961-62_0001

Okay, let me cut to the chase: I'm selling my shit.

The bottom line is that I've got a ton of vintage stuff that I'm going to gradually sell on Ebay over the next couple years.  Just one or two items at a time - nothing too dramatic.  It's just that I've got A LOT of stuff, and there's no sense in keeping it all.

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling all my comic books at a yard sale many years ago.  It still smarts when I think about it.  Unlike that idiotic move for quick cash, I'm just going to sell an item here and there so I can rationalize all the money I spend collecting this stuff, and all the time that goes into it.

So what does this mean to my loyal readers who damn sure don't come to Retrospace looking for posts about me schilling my wares? Well, the good news is I'm not just going to peddle stuff; I'll include plenty of eye candy for whatever products I'm selling (plus my usual snarky comments).

The first item I'm offering is a lot of 14 booklets put out by Coca-Cola from the 1950s and 60s called Pause for Living.

Pause for Living Summer 1961

Sort of an odd title - Pause for living. Really? Not very Carpe Diem sounding. Was Nap for Spirit taken?


These little booklets were put out as Coke propaganda advertising for 50s and 60s housewives. There were no recipes inside (the readers actually voted against having them in one of these issues); they contain only Martha Stewart type ideas for place settings and decoration.

What bizarre ritual is being performed here?
Despite my complete disinterest in decorating ideas, I couldn't help but be entertained by the full color pages of odd looking decor and smiling Stepford Wives.


Am I the only one who thinks these two are about to give new meaning to letting their "yule light shine"?  Twenty bucks says they don't even make to the kitchen.


This would be a great idea to spruce up your living area.... provided your husband is not morally against stealing fossils, petrified wood and geode from our national parks.


Jesus, did these 1950s housewives have too much time on their hands, or what? I'll have a hamburger, ... but hold the pretzel ears and radish mouth, please.

What a beautiful banquet this woman has prepared. (Please, let there be Bourbon in that ridiculous basket o'Coke.)


Here's a hot new trend: Put a tree on your dinner table, then trim it to the shape of your meat. Your guests will be deeeelighted.  But don't forget to include a gelatinous star!


Here's a tip: If you arrive at a dinner party and this is the place setting, run as fast as you can and don't look back.  Some wicked shit is about to go down.

Oh, and buy my stuff...

0 comments:

Post a Comment